Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Councils too powerful?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:38 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

senna_f4 wrote:
But you havent answered the all important question,
would fine for the core from a "granny smith" apple would be more than the pips of a "conference" pear?
common help me out here, I want to satisfy everyone on the fine?
/joking/ Razz

The same, for all it matters. But a reasonable amount would be a £5 fine tops (to take account of inflation, say one hours pay at minimum wage). Any more than that is taking the piss.

Question for you. If £75 is reasonable for dropping an apple core, what penalty would be reasonable for, say, assault? Something which actually does have a victim who is seriously affected?

Earlier you mentioned the use of disabled parking spots. Personally I would say it would depend if the council has taken the pee with dozens of unused disabled spots while the rest of the car park is crammed full (fairly common). In which case an equal fine should apply to the council (maybe related to income, fine of 1 hours income for the person, fine of 1 hours income for the council). Come up with reasonable laws and reasonable situations and you are not going to have enforcement issues. Come up with dubious rules and engineer in nasty situations and you bring the law into disrepute.

All the best

Keith

senna_f4
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:55 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

The same, for all it matters. But a reasonable amount would be a £5 fine tops (to take account of inflation, say one hours pay at minimum wage). Any more than that is taking the piss.

Now a pip from a conference pear is about 500 times smaller than the core of a granny smith apple, you seriously cannot be sugesting £5 fine for both could you. Nein Nein Nein Sad You should if you fine someone £5 for the core of a granny smith apple, to be fair the pip of a confernce pear should be fined 1 p.

Kickstart wrote:

Question for you. If £75 is reasonable for dropping an apple core, what penalty would be reasonable for, say, assault? Something which actually does have a victim who is seriously affected?

Depends on the assault (sexual, bodily etc)

in the ball park of £1,000,000 to 10 years or more in a labour camp Twisted Evil I assure you you will not be in a physical state to assult someone after spending 10 years in a labour camp

Kickstart wrote:

Earlier you mentioned the use of disabled parking spots. Personally I would say it would depend if the council has taken the pee with dozens of unused disabled spots while the rest of the car park is crammed full (fairly common). In which case an equal fine should apply to the council (maybe related to income, fine of 1 hours income for the person, fine of 1 hours income for the council). Come up with reasonable laws and reasonable situations and you are not going to have enforcement issues. Come up with dubious rules and engineer in nasty situations and you bring the law into disrepute.

I think about 150 slots with about 10 or so for disabled, besides there were empty slots, she drove an BMW x5 ??(the huge bmw things, i don't know the name)
Her husband is high up the ladder so she phoned him, I am sure the attended would get the sack.

I think she is the typical type of driver who would drive over you and still get away with it. sorry

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:03 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

senna_f4 wrote:
Now a pip from a conference pear is about 500 times smaller than the core of a granny smith apple, you seriously cannot be sugesting £5 fine for both could you. Nein Nein Nein Sad You should if you fine someone £5 for the core of a granny smith apple, to be fair the pip of a confernce pear should be fined 1 p.

Doesn't really matter. Neither are doing any real harm, so you are only fining due to a law being technically broken.

senna_f4 wrote:
in the ball park of £1,000,000 to 10 years or more in a labour camp Twisted Evil I assure you you will not be in a physical state to assult someone after spending 10 years in a labour camp

And I take it you are happy doing the 10 years on the basis on what some council bod with a peaked hat accuses you of?

senna_f4 wrote:
I think about 150 slots with about 10 or so for disabled, besides there were empty slots, she drove an BMW x5 ??(the huge bmw things, i don't know the name)

In which case, straight parking ticket. Easily proven, except the parking attendents are getting such a bad reputation for fraud and the like that it is making the times they are useful more difficult.

senna_f4 wrote:
Her husband is high up the ladder so she phoned him, I am sure the attended would get the sack.

Could be interesting case when he sues for unfair dismissal. Doubt she could afford an x5 once hubby was sacked.

All the best

Keith

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 12:57 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this has already been suggested but have not read the whole thread.

What were to happen should someone try to fine me fro throwing an apple core or banana skin into a bush/hedgerow? What would happen if I argued that it is a form of recycling which the government encourages us to do?

Would make an interesting court case.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 13:00 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with discarding biodegradable food stuff is that it attracts vermin, so i doubt it would be a particulary interesting case! Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3