Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gearbox broke?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to The Workshop by Korn (30 Mar 2004 - 11:57)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Syfoon
TRUCK!!!

PostPosted: 10:46 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Gearbox broke? Reply with quote

Argh!

Fixed the NSR yesterday, or so I thought.

Got up this morning and tried to start it. Nothing. Went to bump start it and the gearbox felt "floaty". Its not clicking when I change gears.

So I drop it into first and try to run with the bike, but it feels like the clutch is half engaged all the time, even when I'm not touching the lever.

Any ideas? Am I looking at a broken 'box? Or is it just in need of new oil? Or even something to do with the clutch?

Help! Its starting to annoy me now Evil or Very Mad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:57 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which side did you drop it on yesturday? Have you adjusted the clutch at all?

Did you manage to start it? If not, I'd say charge the battery up, or jump start it then see how it goes.

When did you last do an oil change?

I would say it's more likely you've knocked something on clutch adjustment, so the clutch isn't fully engaging.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 13:03 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "floaty" what do you mean? is there resistance there from when trying to push it in gear?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jimbo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:47 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like clutch adjustment.
Clutches go gradually, you would feel it slipping over a period of time. So if this happened suddenly, it's likely an adjustment problem.
1. Check the clutch adjustment. This is a silver knurled nut on the end of the clutch cable, where the cable meets the clutch lever mount on the handlebar. It is under a the black rubber cover that fit over the clutch lever hinge. Screw it all the way in, until the clutch lever goes slack. The clutch should be pretty hard to disengage now. Push the bike in 1st and 2nd and the engine should turn over. This will tell you if the gearbox is working ok.
(If it won't go into gear, just rock the bike forwards and backwards and tap the gear lever a bit until it does. Bike gearboxes aren't meant to change statically, the need to be moving to work properly).
2. Next screw the clutch nut out until the clutch lever starts to feel stiff again. Screw the nut out until the end of clutch lever has about 10mm of free play at the end. (i.e. it has a tiny bit of free play before it starts to pull on the cable). This should be the correct adjustment. Try and push the bike in 2nd gear with the clutch pulled. It might turn the engine over a couple of times before the clutch plates break loose.This is normal for a cold engine.
3. If it still doesn't work, check the routing of the clutch cable down to the engine. It might be pinched somewhere, particularly around the headstock. Typically you will feel this as too much slack in the clutch lever, unless the cable has been pinched very badly.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:55 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My moneys on seized clutch cable or one of the actuator bits, if it feels the same whether the lever is pulled in or not.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1