Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SORN in my side

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

that_impulse_guy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:55 - 22 May 2024    Post subject: SORN in my side Reply with quote

I bought a bike. yay me, it has been standing in a shed since before the millenium (tis is IMPORTANT)

Got v5 in my name, yay me...made it SORN online, got SORN successfull email with referernce number

Wait 5 days...DVLA website still doesnt show it as SORN..says UNtaxed.

SORN it again online, why not! Get SORN successfull message, get SORN reference number...waited another 5 days...DVLA website still says untaxed.

Get hold of DVLA on webchat.
the man on the other end of the internet tells me:
"The Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) scheme only applies to vehicles when the tax expired on or after the 31st January 1998 in Great Britain. This is because the law changed at this time. As your vehicle was untaxed before this date it doesn’t need to be declared SORN. It will only become liable to SORN if it is re-taxed and then subsequently taken off the road."

yay!!!? It technically CANT be sorned.

Today a letter comes in the post, from mr dvla...threatening me that if I dont SORN it, theres a big fine coming my way.

sigh.
fukk'em

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 22 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The before '98 bit is correct, but I thought the new owner had to declare a SORN when the bike changed ownership. i.e. the SORN is no transferable.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:53 - 22 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar. I bought a bike that's been off the road since 1997. As per the notes for guidance, I sent off the change of owner documents and a SORN declaration.

The V5 came back eventually. Some time later, my SORN declaration was returned along with a letter saying I do not need to declare SORN on that vehicle.

About 2 weeks after that, a threatening letter arrived saying I MUST tax or SORN the vehicle or face prosecution.

So, I have in my posession a letter from the DVLA saying the vehicle doesn't need to be SORNed AND have documentary proof that I not only did make a SORN but also that the DVLA received it and the date on which it was received by them (in the form of my returned SORN form bearing the DVLAs received date stamp). As such, I really do hope prosecution will be forthcoming because I have a cast iron defence and it will give me an oppertunity to make the DVLAs prosecutor look like a fool in court.

that_impulse_guy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:57 - 22 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to read between the lines here..because I'm not 100% I'll win this one, even though I seem to be the winner. Lets work this out

I must tax or sorn a vehicle, or face a fine

I cant sorn this vehicle.

ergo, the law would say I MUST tax it.

that the defense for the prosecution.

Now, the defence for the...ermm. defendant.

I tried to sorn it, I couldnt.

your honour says: well, then you shouldve tax'd it..then sorn it.

m'lord, I would lose 1 months tax fee, as thats the maximum refund.

prosecutor: tough titty.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:38 - 22 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
I'm trying to read between the lines here..because I'm not 100% I'll win this one, even though I seem to be the winner. Lets work this out

I must tax or sorn a vehicle, or face a fine

I cant sorn this vehicle.

ergo, the law would say I MUST tax it.

that the defense for the prosecution.

Now, the defence for the...ermm. defendant.

I tried to sorn it, I couldnt.

your honour says: well, then you shouldve tax'd it..then sorn it.

m'lord, I would lose 1 months tax fee, as thats the maximum refund.

prosecutor: tough titty.

If you're worried. Send them a paper V890 form. That's what the law on SORN requires you to do (make a declaration they vehicle is not being used on the road). If you want it legally watertight, get a proof of posting receipt and attach it to a copy of the form you sent.*

They will either accept it or like they did with me, send it back with a letter saying you don't need one.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v890-statutory-off-road-notification-sorn

* Legally, posting the form counts as it having been served. Even if they deny receiving it, they would have to prove it wasn't sent. It's an odd law which was made to stop people denying they received things like speeding fines and suchlike as a defense for not paying them. Works both ways.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:46 - 24 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I had similar. I bought a bike that's been off the road since 1997. As per the notes for guidance, I sent off the change of owner documents and a SORN declaration.

The V5 came back eventually. Some time later, my SORN declaration was returned along with a letter saying I do not need to declare SORN on that vehicle.

About 2 weeks after that, a threatening letter arrived saying I MUST tax or SORN the vehicle or face prosecution.

So, I have in my posession a letter from the DVLA saying the vehicle doesn't need to be SORNed AND have documentary proof that I not only did make a SORN but also that the DVLA received it and the date on which it was received by them (in the form of my returned SORN form bearing the DVLAs received date stamp). As such, I really do hope prosecution will be forthcoming because I have a cast iron defence and it will give me an oppertunity to make the DVLAs prosecutor look like a fool in court.

I would send by registered post a scan of the form and other detail the Leek Munching Taffy Toalies sent you as 'evidence' for anybup coming court appearance.

Sitting and doing nothing, May not.look good to a magistrate/sheriff.

Do you own/can you borrow a suit? Aye? Laughing
Hinglish law.

Scotch Law probably has the same pedants.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:36 - 24 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I would send by registered post a scan of the form and other detail the Leek Munching Taffy Toalies sent you as 'evidence' for anybup coming court appearance.

Sitting and doing nothing, May not.look good to a magistrate/sheriff.

Do you own/can you borrow a suit? Aye? Laughing
Hinglish law.

Scotch Law probably has the same pedants.

Is it normal procedure to reveal the entirety of your defence to the prosecution when being taken to court by a third party? (ie Capita plc)

If it comes to an NIP, they will get a firm and polite "not guilty and if you think you have evidence to the contrary, feel free to go ahead." response.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 24 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, nothing will happen.

One of my bikes is showing a big red square saying "untaxed, tax due 1st April 1983".

It's said that since I got it 12 years ago...

DVLA also told me that the previous tax expiration was too old to sorn and not to worry about it, so I never have.

One day it'll be in a position for me to shell out the £0 to tax it Wink

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 04 Jun 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are only required to notify of SORN which you have and have an email notification. You are NOT required to make sure DVLA update their systems.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1