Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Muslims kick off over cartoons

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:00 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Muslims kick off over cartoons Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4670370.stm

Quote:

Muhammad cartoon row intensifies

Newspapers across Europe have reprinted caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad to show support for a Danish paper whose cartoons have sparked Muslim outrage.

France Soir, Germany's Die Welt, La Stampa in Italy and El Periodico in Spain all carried some of the drawings.

Their publication in Denmark has led to protests in Arab nations, diplomatic sanctions and death threats.

Islamic tradition bans depictions of the Prophet, but media watchdogs defend press freedom to publish the images.

Reporters Without Borders said the reaction in the Arab world "betrays a lack of understanding" of press freedom as "an essential accomplishment of democracy."

'Sense of sacred'

In Berlin, the prominent daily Die Welt ran a front-page caricature of the prophet wearing a headdress shaped like a bomb.

The paper argued there was a right to blaspheme in the West, and asked whether Islam was capable of coping with satire.

"The protests from Muslims would be taken more seriously if they were less hypocritical," it wrote in an editorial.

France Soir said it had reprinted the full set to show that "religious dogma" had no place in a secular society.

Under the headline "Yes, we have the right to caricature God", the daily carried a front-page cartoon of Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim and Christian gods floating on a cloud.

It shows the Christian deity saying: "Don't complain, Muhammad, we've all been caricatured here."

Responding to France Soir's move, the French government said it supported press freedom - but added that beliefs and religions must be respected.

French Muslims spoke out against the pictures.

The president of the French Council of the Muslim Faith (CFCM), Dalil Boubakeur, described France Soir's move as an act of "real provocation towards the millions of Muslims living in France".

Theologian Sohaib Bencheikh said "one must find the borders between freedom of expression and freedom to protect the sacred".

"Unfortunately, the West has lost its sense of the sacred," he wrote in a column accompanying the cartoons in France Soir.

Sanctions

The publication in Denmark of the images last September has provoked diplomatic sanctions and threats from Islamic militants across the Muslim world.

Dozens of protesters from a small Islamic party demonstrated in front of the Danish embassy in Ankara on Wednesday, the Associated Press reports.

Ministers from 17 Arab countries on Tuesday urged Denmark's government to punish Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that first published the caricatures, for what they described as an "offence to Islam".

Thousands of Palestinians demonstrated this week in the Gaza Strip.

Syria and Saudi Arabia have recalled their ambassadors to Denmark, while Libya said it was closing its embassy in Copenhagen and Iraq summoned the Danish envoy to condemn the cartoons.

The offices of Jyllands-Posten, had to be evacuated on Tuesday because of a bomb threat.

The paper had apologised a day earlier for causing offence to Muslims, although it maintained it was legal under Danish law to print them.

Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen welcomed the paper's apology, but defended the freedom of the press.

CARTOON ROW
Palestinians burn a Danish flag
30 Sept: Danish paper Jyllands-Posten publishes cartoons
20 Oct: Muslim ambassadors in Denmark complain to Danish PM
10 Jan: Norwegian publication reprints cartoons
26 Jan: Saudi Arabia recalls its ambassador
30 Jan: Gunmen raid EU's Gaza office
31 Jan: Danish paper apologises
1 Feb: Papers in France, Germany, Italy and Spain print cartoons

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 19:03 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savages.

-Savage-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody call me?

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 19:04 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What don't they kick off about tbh.

*Dons flameproof vest*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:07 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good point P'tek.

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:31 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the embassies and diplomats seemed the oddest reaction to me. I've only heard of that happening prior to an invasion before.

Would also mean that there's no one there to apologise to. Laughing

BigChris
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:04 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I'm surprised they aint kicked off about mecca bingo's yet.

ALLAH ACKBAR! MECCA BINGO INNIT! INSHALLA PEACE BE UPON YOU (NOW GIZ YER WALLET OR I'LL SAY YER RACIST!)
Shocked

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:13 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Muhammad can kiss my fucking arse, the rag-headed bearded grovelling prick.

Ain't free speech grand? Laughing

Siggi I love you..(in a strictly non gay way of course)

could not have said it better myself Thumbs Up

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

F*ck 'em.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 20:22 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fantastic that the other papers have done that. I wish a British one would do it too.

The Islamic world and the Muslims living in free, democratic European countries have to realise that part of this freedom that we have (and some of them have chosen to join) is that we can satrise who we choose and religion can be part of life but will never make the rules.

Apparently a Danish food producer's sales in the Middle East have gone from US$400 M down to 0 in a few days due to a boycott of all things Danish.

They were in the streets shouting "Death to Denmark! War to Denmark!" How can people claim to be civilised when their people say that sort of thing? It makes me think that Siggi's "Arabs are all sub-human" comments are not so far from the truth....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gammamanuk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:32 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put some bacon through their letterboxes, that'll shut em up Rolling Eyes

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 20:35 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gammamanuk wrote:
Put some bacon through their letterboxes, that'll shut em up Rolling Eyes

Danish bacon Drooling Drooling Thumbs Up
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 20:42 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunch of bastards the lot of them. Shocked

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 02:18 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no other major religion or even political grouping that acts like this, worldwide.

I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but to my mind, it proves that we cannot negotiate with Islamic regimes as if we were on an equal basis.

They do not think like us, and they do not want peaceful co-existence with us or our ideals and values.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:28 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cast your own vote.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient-menuext&hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewelt%2Ede%2F

Laughing

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:37 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a muslim, you should shut your hairy mouth, then proceed to eat shit and die.

It am de law Cool Drooling

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:49 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In mitigation.
A lot of the moslems are brain washed by their respective societies and dogmatic regimes.
Maybe if we open up to them let them see what there missing then change will happen.

Not likely.
They've had CNN, MTV and Friends for the past 15 yrs and still they cling to a medieval culture riddled with prejudice, spite, and hatred.
They treat women like shite. (They are encouraged to, we're not really supposed to Embarassed )
They have no respect for individuality only egotistic one-upmanship.

But they are in possession of a powerful weapon.
They breed uncontrollably.

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 11:26 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi, I pretty much agree with the spirit of your post.

However, I've been brainwashed by political correctness and could never have put it quite so well

Top marks Thumbs Up

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:30 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing I find most amusing about this.

Other papers have printed cartoons, they did this because everyone kicked off. So if they had not taken such OTT umbrage they would have stopped the very thing they are kicking off about from happening again.

Anyhoo, it was printed in a free Western country where we are allowed to do such things. Its not illegal and other cultures can;t force their values on us, just as much as we can't force our laws on country that run Sharia.

They need to get over it...
If someone does it in their countries that are run by islamic government, then by all means give out whatever punishment is seen fit in that society.

They have no control over us, we have the right to say what we want and what we feel. Its the one thing I would fight for...
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:59 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange how a lot of people who haven’t agreed with this sort of thing before are now cheering on the members who are slating the Muslims of for this crap.
Muslims, the strong religious ones and many casual ones I guess, have little or no sense of humour.
The little humour they have is far different from our own, my brother in law is Muslim, and he has a slightly western sense of humour now but still something’s whiz over his head.
A thing which I have been pondering for a while….

Over here in Britain and the US and other western cultures alike we take the piss out of each other, ourselves and everyone else on the planet. We can take it when it comes back at us as long as it’s not hatred we laugh at get on with shit.
War on Denmark!! They shout, and the other week members on here were saying ‘Religion doesn’t start wars’ this whole argument is a stinking religious turd that festers into race hate. Not because of us.
I won’t see this tripe abolished in my lifetime sadly, too many people have such strong feelings about magic gods who watch over them when they bomb trains and schools.
IMO westerners know we are all doomed, no one lives forever, everyone has problems, we are all scum.
We make jokes about it.
The sooner Muslims realise they are nothing special the better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Lucy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:26 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two race hate trials going on, BNP leader and Hamza the Radical Cleric.

Whos betting Hamza will be free to hold anti western speeches in London again while the BNP leader will be locked away?

Thumbs Down

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 13:40 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.yellowpages.dk/

Thinking

Oh dear...

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:41 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muslims Muslims Muslims were will it end.

Not all are bad in fact the majority in the uk are good, but the middle east is a problem Iran and also palestine (who have voted in hamas for those that don't watch the news) its a bit like if sein fein were to get into power here.

If they did im afraid to say we would have to kill them all as i would'nt let seinfein/ira run my country.

Sooner or later the middle east will have to be dealt with and i don't think trying to set up democratic governments who favour the west in iran and palestine are viable solutions.

So that leaves 2 ideas we either pull out of the middle east or we roll the whole fucking army in and destroy their pathetic scum riddled countrys, before they get the chance to do it to us.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all the people labeling Muslim countries backwards, do you not consider that our own nation leaves a lot to be desired? Britain is full of racist, xenophobic, bigoted fucks who will use any example of 'political correctness' to rant on about how blacks/asians/arabs are scum. On this thread alone we have one individual apparently praising the BNP, and kiddies saying stuff like:
Soul_Trader wrote:
If you are a muslim, you should shut your hairy mouth, then proceed to eat shit and die.

Right, I agree with free speech and think the media response of reprinting the cartoon was spot on. Also agree that the Islamic world has a long way to go. But the west is far from perfect - Under the facade of liberal democracy we have racism and brooding hatred, and a general intolerance of independent thought. Not comparable maybe, but still reeks to me of Pot and Kettle.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:22 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath some people on here are only harsh because they can be.
All countries are full of the shite, we deal with the race hate far better than they can.
We dish it out and take it.

Did you hear yesterday the government may control what comedians can write for comedy?
Rowan Atkinson is against it as he has grown up with freedom of speech, he says it should be allowed as long as it is not in a threatening way.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7