BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Google

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 00:21 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Google Reply with quote

Just a bit of crap info that most of you probably already know.

I heard today that the 2 men who own Google,(1 is Russian i think) i heard are worth 10 billion pounds each Shocked .
And they are also classed as 2 of the most influential men in the world.

So there you go i heard i shared.

Last edited by daz|n00by on 00:25 - 03 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 00:24 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for sharing.

Not worth too much then, the mother fuckers!!

WR

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair it's the best search engine, I remember when yahoo was the only one that people used.

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 00:55 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alta Vista

Ask Momma

Ask Jeeves

They were the days.

WR

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got the net, I used Ask Jeeves for a few months, then I found out about Google, and never went back. Used it ever since.

They have turned an incredibly efficient, but simple, service into a huge money making operation. Probably the most successful single business in the world, alongside eBay and Microsoft.

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 02:15 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Google lore, company founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin were not terribly fond of each other when they first met as Stanford University graduate students in computer science in 1995. Larry was a 24-year-old University of Michigan alumnus on a weekend visit; Sergey, 23, was among a group of students assigned to show him around. They argued about every topic they discussed. Their strong opinions and divergent viewpoints would eventually find common ground in a unique approach to solving one of computing's biggest challenges: retrieving relevant information from a massive set of data.

By January of 1996, Larry and Sergey had begun collaboration on a search engine called BackRub, named for its unique ability to analyze the "back links" pointing to a given website. Larry, who had always enjoyed tinkering with machinery and had gained some notoriety for building a working printer out of Lego™ bricks, took on the task of creating a new kind of server environment that used low-end PCs instead of big expensive machines. Afflicted by the perennial shortage of cash common to graduate students everywhere, the pair took to haunting the department's loading docks in hopes of tracking down newly arrived computers that they could borrow for their network.

A year later, their unique approach to link analysis was earning BackRub a growing reputation among those who had seen it. Buzz about the new search technology began to build as word spread around campus.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/corporate/history.html

Very interesting realy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:24 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR450_geezer wrote:
Alta Vista

Ask Momma

Ask Jeeves

They were the days.

WR

Pah, young 'uns. Infoseek and webcrawler back in my day Wink
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

anders wrote:
that is some big bucks!

Razz Thumbs Up

well done to them, though how do they do it via google?

Mostly through 'Google Adwords' advertising, which is made up of paid results on the right of the page in search results pages and 'Google Adsense' adverts such as the ones often shown in the top right corner of this very site. Publishers (website owners) get paid, but Google do not disclose the percentage they keep, which is obviously a fair bit. Yahoo have a competing service in beta, and with any luck that will mean better payouts for publishers when it launches, due to the extra competition. At least that's what I hope. Razz

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

From yesterdays news : The firm ( Google ) said late on Tuesday that fourth-quarter profit rose by 82% to $372.2m (£209m)

While profits may have missed,( expected targets ) sales were in line and grew by 86% to $1.92bn as new features including its e-mail service Gmail helped it attract advertisers.

Their shares went down because they only made a £209,000,000 profit Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1