Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Manchester - South Coast!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Manchester - South Coast! Reply with quote

Just wondering what advice and what route would be best on a 125 cc 4 stroke (CBR125) travelling from Bolton to Weymouth on the south coast in August time?

What kit should i take?
Things needed for bike etc?

ZZR-Souls
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:45 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some questions.
Is it still restricted to 12HP?? If yes take the train.
If not, try to avoid anything that's not an A classified road and go as fast as you can within the speed limits. That way you'll stand more chance of finding a petrol station when your fuel gets low.
Get yourself a magnetic tank bag with a clear map pocket on the top. You can make a few notes on which junctions you need to take without having to squint at a map and put it in the clear pocket.
Take an all-in-one waterproof, a lightweight one will be fine at that time of year. Put some chocolate and a bottle or two of water in there too.
Before you start, make sure the oil and filter have been changed, check tyres are in excellent nick and that you have plenty of life left in your brake pads.
Get yourself insured with e-bike insurance and make sure you got breakdown and recovery cover. Invaluable if you get a puncture.
You won't have to worry too much about taking rests as your fuel tank will dictate that to you. Try not to drink coffee as youll be forever wanting a pee. Milk shakes are good as they have plenty of sugar in to keep your energy levels up.

Just one more thing, Plenty of lifesavers.
Good luck M8.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on a full licence, if so jump on the m61, m62, m6 etc, and quite a lot later with a completly numb arse and brain you'll arrive at destination. Very Happy

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 13.6 bhp Laughing

It happiley sits at Indicated 75mph on the motorway, with a bit more left to go on the revs. Doesnt feel to vibey or sound bad, so it'll do motorways. Did Manchester to Birmingham today with absolutely no problems, just sat in the Lorry and slow lane. And had no problems with other road users.

So the bike looks up to it, i know its only the uk but am i best off getting it serviced before i go?

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a service, but not the day before as if you find something you will need time to sort it.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit on the motorway and do 70-75mph.

Anyone that says you need more is talking crap. I crawled up from swindon to glasgow doing 60mph and didn't get crushed/bullied about the road.

Just take your AA card or similar and check the obvious, you're not crossing europe here.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll happiley sit at that, speed. And have not been bullied by anyone. orry drivers have been fine and other slower road users. Obviously id like to be on the inside lane Terrorising the supersonic reps in BM's, but thats not an option at the moment. Can you get any luggage to fit on the cbr, or will a big rucksack do me?

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 01:02 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bum down the M6 and the M5 until you hit the cirencester turnoff then cut across down past chippenham and warminster and onto Yarmouth.

However the A350 from Chippenham down is a long road and is pretty slow going, it's quicker to carry on down the M5 and come off further south going across through Yoevil. Depends if you're upto doing motorway most of the way or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

aqualung1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:48 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if close to bank holidays the roads dorset way are solid

taking it steady on motorway does burn up the miles, but plan your breaks, even better sometinme to get off motorway to stop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the A49 from Warrington straight down to Monmouth, pick up the 'A466' ( what a fantastic road for a 125 too) and across the Severn road bridge (dunno about the lagality of it, i think its classed as a motorway but i'm unsure at this moment in time..

Once across the M48 (Severn road bridge) pick up the A 403 to Avonmouth, A4 towards Bristol then the A37 to Dorchester and finally the A 354 to Weymouth.

This would be a superb ride on the 125 and i estimate 7 hrs to do it AND you'll have plenty of twisties, dual carriageways and a big grin on ya face. I did it on my ZX10 a few years ago, this exact route and it was pissing down yet i enjoyed every mile of it.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny GSX-R wrote:
Severn road bridge (dunno about the lagality of it, i think its classed as a motorway but i'm unsure at this moment in time..

Once across the M48 (Severn road bridge)

You answered your own question there mate. Very Happy

I think he'll be ok with that as i think he's got a full licence??

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me Johnny mate. Now just got to hope August when i go is warm and sunny. There any services on route? For fuel and piss stops?

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:08 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a moped lane on the M48 you could probably take a 125 across on.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Manchester - South Coast! Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
Just wondering what advice and what route would be best on a 125 cc 4 stroke (CBR125) travelling from Bolton to Weymouth on the south coast in August time?

What kit should i take?
Things needed for bike etc?

Oh I didn't realise you were in the same town as I sort of come from (I live on the edge of Bolton and curiously enough one of the SWB riders is from Bolton too).

I did a similar ride three times over the last month,

But it was from Bolton (right on the edge) to Falmouth
Then Plymouth to Bolton
Lots of Manchester->leeds->Liverpool inbetween
Then Bolton to Plymouth.

Things to consider:

#1 Allow more time than needs be:

300 miles / 70mph = 4 hours right?

Wrong, theres always tons of roadwords and phantom traffic jams on the M6 but less so on the M5 , hence your average speed maybe an awful lot less (I average 55MPH).

Also you need to factor in time to stop and rest.

#2 "Can you get any luggage to fit on the cbr, or will a big rucksack do me?"

A rucksack will do nicely unless its more than a couple kilos a 5-25kilos+ might seem ok for an hour on foot but on bike it can really ruin you day and hurt your back , buy some bungees and bungee it to the backseat if possible.

If you have the facility to change tyres at home do it , motorway work has an awful habit of squaring off your tyres.Though when your mileage is in the 1000s weekly then this is an occupational hazard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 06:09 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always use google maps for this sort of thing

they do the route

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=bolton&daddr=weymouth

their timings are usually quite accurate and they say 6hours 14 mins if you dont stop at all ( and you should stop at least once really)

if you cant go on motorways yet its gonna take a whole lot longer

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
i always use google maps for this sort of thing

they do the route

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=bolton&daddr=weymouth

their timings are usually quite accurate and they say 6hours 14 mins if you dont stop at all ( and you should stop at least once really)

if you cant go on motorways yet its gonna take a whole lot longer

But it might well be more entertaining ,yesterday the ride out went towards Truro , it went mostly via small A and B roads , took an awful lot longer than the dual carraige way but was much more entertaining

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 17:22 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah its true a and b roads are more fun but motorways are easier and quicker

i tend to use motorways for 2 hours or more things

but i might do a and b roads next time i visit my mum and hope i dont get lost

edit, just looking at the map, i remember that i did it without motorways before i passed my test and the roads werent that fun but i guess there are other roads i could go on

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
Johnny GSX-R wrote:
Severn road bridge (dunno about the lagality of it, i think its classed as a motorway but i'm unsure at this moment in time..

Once across the M48 (Severn road bridge)

You answered your own question there mate. Very Happy

I think he'll be ok with that as i think he's got a full licence??

I know i know i know

I knew what i meant though Embarassed

I was thinking that there MUST be some way of getting a mophead across there without doing a 70 mile detour, there must be a lane for ickle bikes to use and 'L' plate users.

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
Sounds good to me Johnny mate. Now just got to hope August when i go is warm and sunny. There any services on route? For fuel and piss stops?

Shed loads of fuel stops etc, i always stop at a little fuel stop on the A466 just as you come towards Monmouth, i have a 10 min break there before pressing on.
Actually done that route 4 times now, well, 4 times going south and 2 coming North.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1