Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TOURING AND EXPLORATION IN "LONDON"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Aldbro_Bev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: TOURING AND EXPLORATION IN "LONDON" Reply with quote

I know, I know Laughing It's hardly Europe or some other exotic destination Very Happy BUT.... I've put this thread in here as that's exactley what I'm thinking about doing in London, "Exploring", but I need your help Wink
I would consider myself to be a confident (ish) rider, but to people like you couriers that probably do London Streets every day, it'll be nowt, but to a Yorkshire Puddin' Lassie like me that thinks nowt of jumping on her bike and taking a run upto Scotland and back in a day, I think London would be a good test, Every year I set little goals for myself, last year was Scotland, this years Wales and back in a day, it's just everything I do has to be done "in a day" as T'other will not let me stop out overnight somewhere (he's abit funny like that) Very Happy
but my other little task I would quite like to set myself for this year, I would like to ride over Tower Bridge, and past the Houses of Parliament and all that! right through the centra and past Buck Palace, nip in to see Queenie for a cuppa Laughing Wink
I'd quite like to visit Ace Cafe aswell maybe, I'm not sure how far the caf is from Central London though. I'm hoping that as seen as there's so many on BCF from "Darn Sarth" that you would be able to help me with useful information and such like, the other thing I needed to know was about this 'ere "CHARGING" to drive in central London, does it cost for Motorbikes??? (and if so, how much?)

https://mywebpages.comcast.net/ziring/uk-trip/tower-bridge.jpg

Any info greatly received Very Happy

Bev xx Wink

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:45 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikes dont pay the congestion charge

it seems a bit of a shame u cant linger in a place and have to do there and back in a day, wherever you go.

maybe u cd get other half to meet you down there, he cd get the coach or train or something if he doesnt want to go with u on the bike

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 17:28 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite good fun, I did a lot of exploring London when I first moved there and had my wee scooter. Nice to nip about the place and see all the landmarks and such.

Folk do drive like cocksuckers in London though. Including me.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might i suggest doing it at night or on a clear evening.

Reason i say so is that the lights in london are very spectacular and you get a pretty great vibe. I took my best mate 2's up on the back and he loved it.

A'ight, here's how i do it. First thing i need to establish is which quarter of london you're coming from. I could only provide you a good route from a NW London point of view.

I live in Edgware/Harrow so that's where i started.

Arrow Headed down the A5 till i got to Hendon and joined onto the A41
Arrow Got onto the A41 and headed down to Golders Green - London's idyllic definiton of Metroland. From there, head south east, up the long hill into Hampstead heath. They'res a nice bit of twistys that leads you to that pond on top of the hill next to Jack Straw's castle. Take a straight following the main stream of traffic into hamstead station.
Arrow Take a left at hamstead station passing the royal free hospitalm, Belzise park etc and it's all downhill. You will then pass Chalk farm tube station at the bottom of that 1 mile hill.
Arrow For me, this is what epitomises London - Camden town, in my honest opinion, the only bit of london that ain't changed in the last 15 years, and it helped define what we used to do in summer.
Arrow Follow the route around and find Euston - Can't remember what the name of the road is, but it brings you alongside the platforms of Euston station on the right-hand side.
Arrow Cross Marylabone road and you're now on Bloomsbury, Russel Square, where the bus bomb happened. The square's a nice bit of cotch where you can just chill and maybe have a picnic.
Arrow Heading down Bloomsbury takes you to the Strand, my old man's office will be staring directly at you by this point (BBC BUSH HOUSE). It is a one way road

You now have 2 choices

If you want to go to the west end.
Go around the strand and head west paying VERY close attnetion to the street signs, you don't want to be crossing the thames just yet. Head straight down Charing Cross, You'll then spot trafalgar square.
Arrow At trafalgar square, you can either take the second exit to go to the houses of pariament and big ben or head straight to go up constitution hill to visit her maj's crib. There's a few back roads that link the two places together, around the back of downing street.
Arrow If you're at the wellington arch by going straight at buckingham palage, take a right and you'll be at hyde park. Head up park lane and buy yourself a beemer and park your bike at the Dorchester and hire yourself a room. Laughing Thumbs Up

If you want to see the city of london.

Vector east taking you past the high court etc. It's a dead straight road past St Pauls and eventually the Tower of London. The lights are pretty spectacular at night.

here's where it gets FUCKING confusing. It's a one way system to get onto the Tower Bridge and you have to be in the right lane as you're going around the loop under fenchurch street station. Once you've emmerged, take the left lane at the lights and just gun it down the bridge, looking right to see the "better part of london"

The choice is up to you now. South london has nothing to offer, but if you fancy a challenge and don't want to U-turn. Head straight and look for signs saying elephant and castle. Once there, look for westminster/waterloo. waterloo's better as you can look for strand and resume the route at strand. I could be more detailed but i'd need a map.

God, bloody hell that was rather unnecessary! Instead of typing this up, i would have probably been at Camden or Euston by now! lol

Oh for your information, the Ace Cafe can be accessed by taking the A406 and exiting at stonebridge park. The A406 can also be accessed at many points in NW london. - Neasden, the A41 at Brent Cross, the A5 at Staples corner. Sundays are the usual bike days. People just congregate there before riding off.
Hope this helps Bev

Titot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 11:56 - 05 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find this link handy:
https://www.parkingforbikes.com/

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:52 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing not mentioned here is do it on a weekend evening and the centre of London is empty.

And if you come all the way to London I would strongly advise a trip up the London eye you will get a terrific view of London from there and it will allow you to see the layout more clearly so you understand better the sites you have been visiting.

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Re: TOURING AND EXPLORATION IN "LONDON" Reply with quote

Aldbro_Bev wrote:
it's just everything I do has to be done "in a day" as T'other will not let me stop out overnight somewhere (he's abit funny like that) Very Happy

Kick him into touch then! At least, that's what I would do if any bloke told me that I wasn't allowed to do something. Twisted Evil

Last bloke who got away with that type of talk was my Dad. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1