Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Israel & the Arabs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Israel & the Arabs Reply with quote

I had to fill the car up - the most I have ever paid for fuel. 98.9p/ litre. With the price of a barrel of oil now at $79, the Israel/Lebanon/Palestinian crisis looks like it could drag the whole region into war with the price of petrol going through the roof!

The key question is why did Hizbollah choose now to attack Israel. It obviously felt strong. Was the capture of the corporal in Gaza the catalyst or would it have happened anyway?

Hizbollah has been growing stronger in Southern Lebanon for years. Israel, in the interest of peace decided not to do anything about it as it looked to resolve the Palestinian issue. Israel had (wrongly) thought that as Hizbollah had joined the Lebanese Government that it would eventually legitimise itself and no longer be the terror organisation it is known to be. Equally with the election of a non-militariastic Prime Minister, Hizbollah might have thought that Israel would have sat back and done nothing. peronally I think Hizbollah and its backer - Iran, knew exactly what Israel would do - attack & try and destroy Hizbollah. The reason - to deflect attention away from Iran's nuclear programme - perhaps with Syria's blessing or in collaboration with them as they have lost their influence in Lebanon. By using Israel to destabilise the country it is a good excuse for Syria to send in troops to counter the Israeli force.

What annoys me is that the 'International Community' except the UK and the US generally condemn Israel for using disproportionate force. They do not seem to mention the continued bombardment of Syrian made rockets that penetrate deep into Israel territory, that a re aimed indiscriminately at towns and cities. Israel has responded by trying to cut off the supply lines, and attack the missile storage depots...which are cynically in heavily populated areas. However the G8 did issue a statement that seems to support Israel for its actions.

Israel have mobilised an infantry division, which is moving North - usually a pre-cursor to an invasion. Syria has also mobilised its reserves. Next week should be interesting!

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 22:38 - 16 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite often torn when pondering these issues, between deploring Israel's often heavy-handed retaliations, and despising the way that Arab nations keep the whole thing rolling for their own purposes.

Arab terrorist groups and militias, like the IRA and UVF etc, have gained far too much power off the back of all this suffering and violence to give it up easily, so they deliberately take decisions that will perpetuate the conflict.

Israel suffers too many attacks to stand idly by, and responds with overwhelming aggression, which while understandable, simply makes a new generation of Arab kids agree with their parents that they must drive the Jews into the sea.

Arab nations use the whole thing to support their own unpleasant regimes, by giving their populations an enemy to hate, and to blame everything unpleasant on. Hence 9/11 was laid at Mossad's door, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 00:05 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Israel/Lebanon/Palestinian crisis looks like it could drag the whole region into war with the price of petrol going through the roof!

That is the plan.

Quote:
What annoys me is that the 'International Community' except the UK and the US generally condemn Israel for using disproportionate force.

As they should. The only reason the US and UK don't is that they were responsible for creating Israel.

Quote:
They do not seem to mention the continued bombardment of Syrian made rockets that penetrate deep into Israel territory, that a re aimed indiscriminately at towns and cities.

Israel does not seem to mention the thousands of innocent Lebanese and Palestinians stuck in Israeli jails from the last occupation without charge.

Quote:
Israel has responded by trying to cut off the supply lines, and attack the missile storage depots...which are cynically in heavily populated areas.

They've also hit TV stations, villages, power stations, petrol stations.

Quote:
Arab nations use the whole thing to support their own unpleasant regimes, by giving their populations an enemy to hate, and to blame everything unpleasant on. Hence 9/11 was laid at Mossad's door, etc.

They should hate Israel, it shouldn't exist and has done nothing but kill indiscriminately since its creation. To the Israelis an Arab life is worth nothing.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:56 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

im with zak. When we had the IRA blowing us up, we didnt attack catholics in northern ireland as a reprisal.

OK there may have been a few exceptions but nothing like Israels blatant lashing out in frustation at soft targets.

If anything, Israels behaviour is just going to increase support for the terrorist (or insurgent) organisations.

I think the only purpose it serves is to try to make the Israeli government look like its doing something, so it doesnt look week to Israeli voters.

Israel is more powerful than the palestinians, so the palestinians will always suffer more than the Israelis.

Even if you think Israel has a right to exist, they dont have a right to the occupied territories which they just invaded and have kept.

In the west bank alone, there are 2.4 million people living under occupation by a foreign power. The idea that any resistance against this occupation is terrorism, is daft.

If germany decided they were going to annex part of another country to increase their own security we wouldnt be so nice about it.

Israel should get out of the occupied territories and should suffer sanctions until it does. Obviously this wont happen.

Israel is a nasty vicious little country that gets away with murder because its got close relations with America.

Last edited by colin1 on 03:10 - 20 Jul 2006; edited 1 time in total

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:04 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just despair at them & hate both sides.

Best thing that could happen there would be a sea level rise of about 200m.

Just drown the entire fucking region.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:13 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Britain and the US ever condemn anybody for using disproportionate force they will be known by the international community as the biggest hypocrits ever, what with the awful displays in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:54 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
im with zak. When we had the IRA blowing us up, we didnt attack catholics in northern ireland as a reprisal.

That's not the story the IRA was giving out.

Also in that case, I believe, the Irish government was cooperating with us, rather than being a terrorist organisation it's self.

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Israel/Lebanon/Palestinian crisis looks like it could drag the whole region into war with the price of petrol going through the roof!

zaknafien wrote:
That is the plan.

Yes, let's remember who started the Lebanon crisis...Hizabollah attacking Israel, by invading Israel killing an army patrol, destroying a tank and then launching loads of missiles indiscriminately into Israel
Quote:
What annoys me is that the 'International Community' except the UK and the US generally condemn Israel for using disproportionate force.

zaknafien wrote:
As they should. The only reason the US and UK don't is that they were responsible for creating Israel.

Incorrect. Israel was created by the then fledgling UN, whose permanent members included China, France, Russia as well as the UK & US. Apart from the Arab states, most other countries that were members of the UN voted for its right to exist.
Quote:
They do not seem to mention the continued bombardment of Syrian made rockets that penetrate deep into Israel territory, that a re aimed indiscriminately at towns and cities.

zaknafien wrote:
Israel does not seem to mention the thousands of innocent Lebanese and Palestinians stuck in Israeli jails from the last occupation without charge.

The 'innocent' Palestinians and Lebanese are either failed suicide bombers, conspiritators, Hizobalah or Hamas activists. I'm sure if these two groups recognised the State of Israel, worked towards a peaceful solution then Israel, as it has done on numerous occasions before would pardon and release them - much the same way the UK released IRA actvists after the troubles.
Quote:
Israel has responded by trying to cut off the supply lines, and attack the missile storage depots...which are cynically in heavily populated areas.

zaknafien wrote:
They've also hit TV stations, villages, power stations, petrol stations.

They hit the Hizbollah TV station. They've shelled Hizbollah positions which are cynically placed in villages to act as human shields. A power startion (that serves Southern Beirut) where Hizbollah has its stronghold and 1 petrol station. It has attacked the airport, blockaded the port and destroyed the main road from Lebanon to Syria. Basically to cut off the supply line of missiles and prevent Syria deploying its long range weapon that could hit Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
Quote:

zaknafien wrote:
They should hate Israel, it shouldn't exist and has done nothing but kill indiscriminately since its creation. To the Israelis an Arab life is worth nothing.

Shocked Shocked Shocked - Over 18% of Israelis are Arab, who enjoy the same rights and privileges as the Jewish population! I think I once heard Abu Hamza say something along the lines you have just quoted.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 17:01 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, let's remember who started the Lebanon crisis...Hizabollah attacking Israel, by invading Israel killing an army patrol, destroying a tank and then launching loads of missiles indiscriminately into Israel

I agree Hezbollah attacked first.

Quote:
Incorrect. Israel was created by the then fledgling UN, whose permanent members included China, France, Russia as well as the UK & US. Apart from the Arab states, most other countries that were members of the UN voted for its right to exist.

Incorrect. The UN approved the partition plan. Israel had unofficially been planned and existed for years before that. I think the words used from 1922 onwards were ‘securing the establishment of the Jewish national home’.

Quote:
The 'innocent' Palestinians and Lebanese are either failed suicide bombers, conspiritators, Hizobalah or Hamas activists.

Bollocks, that’s propaganda cooked up by Israel, thousands and thousands disappeared during the occupation never to be seen again. There is no proof as to any involvement by the vast majority, they’re only crime is not being an Israeli.

Quote:
Over 18% of Israelis are Arab, who enjoy the same rights and privileges as the Jewish population! I think I once heard Abu Hamza say something along the lines you have just quoted.

First off I didn’t quote anything, second I agree over 18 percent are, now let’s take a look outside the box at the millions of Arabs who aren’t of Israel who are treated no better than cattle. Yep I’d say that qualifies as an Arab life is worth nothing to an Israeli. Amnesty international didn't accuse them of war crimes and crimes against humanity for nothing you know.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:06 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
now let’s take a look outside the box at the millions of Arabs who aren’t of Israel who are treated no better than cattle. Yep I’d say that qualifies as an Arab life is worth nothing to an Israeli. Amnesty international didn't accuse them of war crimes and crimes against humanity for nothing you know.

Same for pretty much any nation, really, especially when you're talking people that are seen far-removed from your own nation's life styles.

See how we are happy to bomb innocent Iraqi/Afghani people, yet would never have considered this with Ireland.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 17:08 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
See how we are happy to bomb innocent Iraqi/Afghani people, yet would never have considered this with Ireland.

We? I'm vehemently opposed to the Iraqi/Afghani war thanks. Smile

I also think Bush/Blair and cronies involved should all be brought up on charges.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 17:19 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh look.

BBC wrote:
LATEST: Ten civilians reported dead as Israeli missile hits bus in south Lebanon. More soon.

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all this kicks off i realise how completely ignorant I am of the whole situation.

Here's a challenge:

Sum up the background of the conflict in the middle east in less than 50 words?

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
now let’s take a look outside the box at the millions of Arabs who aren’t of Israel who are treated no better than cattle. Yep I’d say that qualifies as an Arab life is worth nothing to an Israeli. Amnesty international didn't accuse them of war crimes and crimes against humanity for nothing you know.

Ooh yes lets! The Arab Israelis (mainly Palestinians) are the only ones in the region to enjoy 'real' democracy. i.e. not told by their tribal chief, Inman, village elder, etc who to vote for! Hizbollah and Hamas choose to locate their bomb factories and training centres in villages and towns, usually near schools and mosques. When the 'Occupied Territories' (Gaza and the West Bank) were occupied before 1967 by Jordan and Egypt, the Palestinians were denied access to these two countries. Before the second intifada, Palestinians were able to work in Israel. As for the statement "an Arab life is worth nothing to an Israeli" read this story.

zaknafien, your views are really messed up and clearly clouded by anti-Zionist, radical Islamic rhetoric. Whilst I do not believe everything I read (and am no-way an Israeli apologist) I do think that a lot of propaganda spread about Israel is an excuse for anti-semitism, which is totally unacceptable.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:42 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ooh yes lets! The Arab Israelis (mainly Palestinians) are the only ones in the region to enjoy 'real' democracy. i.e. not told by their tribal chief, Inman, village elder, etc who to vote for!

What’s your point? Are you one of those that believes democracy is the be all and end all of political rule that should be forced on everyone regardless of whether they want it or not?

Quote:
Hizbollah and Hamas choose to locate their bomb factories and training centres in villages and towns, usually near schools and mosques.

Because Israel would never bomb civilians without knowing for sure terrorist 's are there. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
zaknafien, your views are really messed up and clearly clouded by anti-Zionist, radical Islamic rhetoric.

Not at all, Isreal shouldn’t exist in any shape or form no matter how you slice it. And for the record i’ve never read an Islamic view on israel. My views are based on research into Isreal and the crimes it's commited since it's inception.

Quote:
Whilst I do not believe everything I read (and am no-way an Israeli apologist) I do think that a lot of propaganda spread about Israel is an excuse for anti-semitism, which is totally unacceptable.

Propaganda? First of all, the UN has tried over 20 times to bring Israel to account for the crime’s and injustices they’ve committed but funnily enough every single one of them was vetoed by the US. So far in the offensive against Palestine Israel has broken geneva conventions articles 54 and 51 yet nobody seem’s to mention these. You are the one that’s seems to be believing propaganda.

Amnesty International
Quote:
"Deliberate attacks by Israeli forces against civilian property and infrastructure in the Gaza Strip violate international humanitarian law and constitute war crimes." The human rights group said Israeli bombardment of "the Gaza Strip's only electricity power station, water networks, bridges, roads and other infrastructure is a violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention."

UN special reporter John Dugard
Quote:
It is clear Israel is in violation of the most fundamental norms of humanitarian law and human rights law," Dugard said in an address to a special session of the UN Human Rights Council. He accused the so-called "Quartet" of Mideast mediators of doing nothing to rein in Israel.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:43 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:

We? I'm vehemently opposed to the Iraqi/Afghani war thanks. Smile

Not opposed enough to do much, though.

But with your lack of opposition you are still supporting the regime (taxes etc) which does these things.
(I'm just as much as a hypocrite, though Smile ).

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:46 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
But with your lack of opposition you are still supporting the regime (taxes etc) which does these things.
(I'm just as much as a hypocrite, though Smile ).

I'm not paying taxes mate so you're wrong. Smile, I've also never voted for this regime and I speak out against the injustice caused at every opportunity.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:49 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:

I'm not paying taxes mate so you're wrong. Smile, I've also never voted for this regime and I speak out against the injustice caused at every opportunity.

Just because you're taking money off the goverment, doesn't mean you're not giving it back.

Very, very hard not to pay taxes these days (VAT etc).

Also, I believe you were paying taxes around the time of the invasions.

Sent any letters to your MPs? To the prime minster/government in general? Taken any active part in trying to make a stand and show your support, apart from talking to mates/people on an internet forum?

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:55 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Also, I believe you were paying taxes around the time of the invasions.

Which one's? I havent paid taxes since january.

Quote:
Sent any letters to your MPs? To the prime minster/government in general?

Actually yes I have although I got no reply, I'm currently composing one asking why such blatant human right's and international law abuses are allowed to continue without a single acknowledgement by our government.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:05 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:

Which one's? I havent paid taxes since january.

I was thinking of the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, as they were fairly major an' that.

Ok, you've sent a letter, soon to be two.
A few years ago the home secretary got seven letters complaining when as part of the story line of the Archers (radio 4 soap), one of the characters was sent to prison!

Not that much of a contribution really, I'd say.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 19:11 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Not that much of a contribution really, I'd say.

I have to agree, but in my defence it's only in the past year i've begun to take a more active stance than just watching from the sidelines. I intend to take a more active role across the board including participation in demonstrations.

We all have to start somewhere.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

akaDAVE wrote:
As all this kicks off i realise how completely ignorant I am of the whole situation.

Here's a challenge:

Sum up the background of the conflict in the middle east in less than 50 words?

Here you go:

An eye for an eye, and the whole world going blind.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 20:42 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jews lived in Israel back in biblical times.

Jews thrown/moved out to Europe etc.

WW2 - lots of dead jews.

Jews effectively invent Zionism - the search for a return home to a Jewish Homeland.

Jewish terrorists take advantage of the weakened British Empire post WW2, and after killing plenty of British squaddies, make the UK cut its losses and return the Palestinian Mandate to the UN.

Palestinians all leave the country so that the Arabs can crush the newly declared state of Israel.

Israel kicks their arses, and doesn't let the Palestinians back in.

Arab world spends the next 50 years using the Palestinians as a stick to beat the West over the head with, the Israelis as a Boogey man to retain their own power, and generally do nothing to help the situation, while losing 4 wars to the Jews.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Jews lived in Israe.

SNIP

well put.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 21:52 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Mister James wrote:
Jews lived in Israe.

SNIP

well put.

Where's Israe, smartarse?!

Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2