BCF: Bike Chat Forums

100 UK deaths in Iraq

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:26 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. I hate these "cut and paste" dissections of someone elses posts, it makes a thread unreadable at times. You're only replying to my post anyway, so why not just say what you want to say? If I've forgotten what I've written, the post is just above anyway.

I wasn't stating that the Americans were covering up anything, just that that's the left wing caveat to any information given. Likewise with my right wing example, which you leapt upon. As for the only people using the figures are those anti-bush, anti-war types, I disagree. The US/UK/anyone will use anything to try and force home their point, and prove they were right in the first place. If they're not mentioning the figures at all, it's because they haven't found a way to spin them. That's not anti-bush, it's just how politics works.

I'm also not arguing that suicide bombings are the Americans "fault" (well, no more than you're arguing that they're not), I'm just pointing out an action and consequence. Likewise, a consequence of there not being an invasion in the first place, may well have been a WMD attack. Fact is that a consequence of the actual invasion has been suicide bombings, and largescale civil unrest. This could be seen as legitimate protests against an invading force, instead we call it terrorism and brand it evil. If Germany had actually got to our little island during the 40's, I'd like to think the British public would have had a similar reaction.

I have more sympathy for 100,000 people I don't know dying, than I do of 100 people I don't know who happen to come from my country. It's just the sheer size of it. Selfishly, and understandably, if I had a relative who was one of the dead I may feel differently. Objectivity and subjectivity.

100 out of 9,000 troops have died. So just over a 1% chance of death, in a war zone. Doesn't seem that bad does it?

I recognise that I have not had access to enough information to accurately decide whether the war was justified or not. I have no real opinion on it, I just like questioning things.

Mister James wrote:
100 British citizens fighting for a country that isn't their own

That would be America then? Laughing Wink

TimC
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont agree with you at all, those men never asked to goto iraq they believed the goverment that iraq posed a threat to other allied countries and supported their goverment. each one of them is a hero in their own way.
everyone complains that there is no need for the army but when the IRA or some religous nut blows up something in the uk everyone is asking why the army didnt act better to protect them, personally im proud to have a dedicated professional army that we can rely on and anyone who joins is smart enough to see that they are goin into a good thing.
yes when people join they except the risk they could be killed but nearly every job has risks of some sort, i dont think people who join the army are gun loving killing freaks rather people who want the security and training the army provides.
fair enough war kills alot of people it dosnt need to but politics kills a hell of alot more,
i feel sorry for every persons family that has died through war and i dont think my mind will change for any reason.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 19:56 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else noticed the huge hike in advertising for recruitment for the infantry post john reid's announcement about afghanistan this year

would prepare yourself for quite a few more deaths of UK service personnel Neutral
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 20:49 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimC wrote:
each one of them is a hero in their own way.

Siggi... Siggi

We've got a live one!
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:51 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:

You certainly could. It would be a fallacious argument as to appropiating blame though, in the same way that we cannot blame attractive women for being raped, or that owning an Ipod does not make you a fair target for a mugging.

I sugget an appropriate analogy would be more like "blaming an attractive women for being raped after she went up to a known sex ofender and started giving him a blow job, then walked off saying she wanted nothing to do with him". I can't beleive that the current situation wasn't in Iraq wasn't predicted - even if it was then ignored.

I would suggest thatpretty much the whole situation could be blamed directly on American (and our) actions. It was obvious our actions would have consequences - we can't then try and apscond from the blame, even if it is shared with others.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 02:49 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobB wrote:
Ugh. I hate these "cut and paste" dissections of someone elses posts, it makes a thread unreadable at times. You're only replying to my post anyway, so why not just say what you want to say? If I've forgotten what I've written, the post is just above anyway.

It helps split things up, and lets me answer each issue you raise point by point. In your case, no disrespect or dissection is intended - it's a pleasure to find someone who thinks about what he writes on here! Smile

Quote:

I wasn't stating that the Americans were covering up anything, just that that's the left wing caveat to any information given. Likewise with my right wing example, which you leapt upon. As for the only people using the figures are those anti-bush, anti-war types, I disagree. The US/UK/anyone will use anything to try and force home their point, and prove they were right in the first place. If they're not mentioning the figures at all, it's because they haven't found a way to spin them. That's not anti-bush, it's just how politics works.

You are missing my point slightly. I don't disagree with you entirely, it's just that your 'right wing' theory was incorrect - because the UK/USA are not making any attempt to spin figures which might as well have been grabbed out of thin air. Just about every single survey claiming to have worked out the number of civilian losses is an organisation politically opposed to either Bush, America or the war. In this istance there is no Left/Right balance and opposing views, the US simply aren't playing the guessing game at all. Hence your original comment was inaccurate.

I totally agree with you that the two governments will try and spin stories to suit themselves, no question about it.

Quote:

I'm also not arguing that suicide bombings are the Americans "fault" (well, no more than you're arguing that they're not), I'm just pointing out an action and consequence. Likewise, a consequence of there not being an invasion in the first place, may well have been a WMD attack. Fact is that a consequence of the actual invasion has been suicide bombings, and largescale civil unrest. This could be seen as legitimate protests against an invading force, instead we call it terrorism and brand it evil.

The overwhelming majority of civilian losses in Iraq have come from bombings and attacks against Iraqi citizens going about their daily business.

If all bombings were directed against US/UK forces, accompanied by promises (however fake, like the IRA's) to cease attacks as soon as they withdrew, you might have a point.

We both know that isn't the case.

Quote:

If Germany had actually got to our little island during the 40's, I'd like to think the British public would have had a similar reaction.

Roman Catholics using the opportunity to blow up methodist churches?
Markets full of British citizens miles from any krauts being turned into charnel houses?
Lines of British people queuing for jobs targeted and massacred?

That is what is happening in Iraq, not some brave resistance against an evil invading force.

Quote:

I have more sympathy for 100,000 people I don't know dying, than I do of 100 people I don't know who happen to come from my country. It's just the sheer size of it. Selfishly, and understandably, if I had a relative who was one of the dead I may feel differently. Objectivity and subjectivity.

Ok - perhaps I have to declare an interest here, having been in the forces. (in a fairly non-impressive capacity) I also knew one of the naval officers killed in the helicopter crash at the start of the war, and have a colleague at work who has just returned from a tour having lost a close friend to an IED.

Quote:

100 out of 9,000 troops have died. So just over a 1% chance of death, in a war zone. Doesn't seem that bad does it?

Again, I concede the point to you, in fact, the ratio is much lower, as we have had far more troops than that in the region since casualties started trickling in - 45,000 at the height of military operations.

That said, it's still a much higher chance of being killed or maimed than you and I have while we sit in our comfy chairs typing all this.

Quote:

I recognise that I have not had access to enough information to accurately decide whether the war was justified or not. I have no real opinion on it, I just like questioning things.

An excellent attitude to have - and again, it's nice to talk to someone that does think through his position. Most of my bile and venom on this subject comes from watching too many anti-war types talking utter twaddle, and screaming "Get Troops Out Now" without saying what effect they think it would have on Iraq, and whether it would be morally right.

Even Iraqis who hate the US/UK forces and opposed the invasion accept that they need them to stay until things are stablised. George Galloway and his merry men do not seem to have grasped that yet.

Quote:

Mister James wrote:
100 British citizens fighting for a country that isn't their own

That would be America then? Laughing Wink

Laughing

As long as the USA shares roughly the same values as us, it's in our interests to assist the worlds only remaining superpower - especially as it looks like it won't be the only one for long!

Quote:

I sugget an appropriate analogy would be more like "blaming an attractive women for being raped after she went up to a known sex ofender and started giving him a blow job, then walked off saying she wanted nothing to do with him". I can't beleive that the current situation wasn't in Iraq wasn't predicted - even if it was then ignored.

I would suggest thatpretty much the whole situation could be blamed directly on American (and our) actions. It was obvious our actions would have consequences - we can't then try and apscond from the blame, even if it is shared with others.

I don't accept this.

It is a direct consequence, sure. Our actions have led to this situation being possible, I fully accept that.

However, I do not accept that we shoulder the blame for the acts of murder that are being carried out on an hourly basis in Iraq by the so-called insurgency.

They are responsible for their actions, not us.

I think that cause and blame can be seperated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 06:31 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing that caught my attention amongst the stats on British casualties was that the Royal Military Police have suffered the most deaths (11) of any regiment that has been deployed in Iraq.

Usually you wouldn't expect to see that kind of thing - shows the seismic shift in the way operations work in so called 'low grade conflicts'.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 10:46 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
anyone else noticed the huge hike in advertising for recruitment for the infantry post john reid's announcement about afghanistan this year

would prepare yourself for quite a few more deaths of UK service personnel Neutral

According to either the independant or the scotsman (I can't remember what site i read it on), officers within the Parachutre Regiment are expecting casualties on the scale of the Falklands when they go into Afghanistan. There is a major recruitment drive in the Para reserves at present as well and I am certain it is directly linked to this up and coming conflict.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:37 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m waiting for the day these fuckers over step the mark, and then our boys can be pulled out and we can use proper force.
Burn the fools….
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:38 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was glad to see you didn't take my cut+paste comment personally, but was less glad to see the massive cut+paste... Laughing

Mister James wrote:
In this instance there is no Left/Right balance and opposing views, the US simply aren't playing the guessing game at all

The US could be seen to be spinning the figures simply by not commenting. If they release nothing offcial, then they don't have to comment on it. No justification or explanation necessary, and we'll go about our day.

Mister James wrote:
The overwhelming majority of civilian losses in Iraq have come from bombings and attacks against Iraqi citizens going about their daily business.
If all bombings were directed against US/UK forces, accompanied by promises (however fake, like the IRA's) to cease attacks as soon as they withdrew, you might have a point.

Ok, again, I don't really know enough about all this, but my understanding would be that the lines of Iraqi civilians are being attacked in order to reduce support for the occupying force in those who survive. If the Iraqis tried to attack barracks, or mess halls, they'd probably be killed before they got close. So they look for the easiest, most influential targets. Keep blowing people up, and eventually they'll do whatever they're told to. Shock and awe. The coalition have all the cool guns and toys. If the Iraqis fought the war as they were supposed to, by our rules, they'd lose. And war is war, so they do what they have to. Whichever way you look at it, a bomb going off is a sign that someone somewhere isn't very happy. Never negotiate with terrorists, ok, but keep ignoring people and they just get louder.

One of the other underlying factors to all of this is money. I don't believe that wars, or anything these days, are fought for anything but money. Oil if you like, but even without that countries have to justify their continually increasing defence budgets. America would have been under huge pressure from the left to cut defence spending and increase social benefits before the war in Iraq. The democrat's last campaign would have centred around this shift of spending without the occurence of war. Bush may not have gone to war specifically to help his campaign for re-election, but I'm certain that it would have been weighed up as a positive influence. America grew more and more disheartened with Dubya, until he found some evil-doers to pursue in the name of God. I'm rambling now..... Very Happy

Mister James wrote:
That said, it's still a much higher chance of being killed or maimed than you and I have while we sit in our comfy chairs typing all this.

Agreed, but without conscription it was a free choice to join the army, similar to the firefighters debate. If my comfy chair had it's percentage chance of death rated, it would be very low. I am a coward, therefore am happier in my comfy chair than I would be in Iraq.
With the objectivity/subjectivity thing, I'm trying to come to conclusions about all this without taking a side. My own personal feelings are mostly that I don't know enough to make a final judgement, but can be ushered towards an opinion. My views on the army are born from respect. My grandfather served as in the Secret Service during the second world war, and my uncle was in the army for 30 years. I saw what him being posted in Northern Ireland did to my grandmother, she was sick with worry for most of the time. The families and friends of anyone currently serving have my upmost respect and sympathy.

Mister James wrote:
Most of my bile and venom on this subject comes from watching too many anti-war types talking utter twaddle, and screaming "Get Troops Out Now" without saying what effect they think it would have on Iraq, and whether it would be morally right..... Even Iraqis who hate the US/UK forces and opposed the invasion accept that they need them to stay until things are stablised

Just as many pro-war types who will refuse to go back and talk about whether it was right or not, because we're there now. Don't get me wrong, deal with the here and now, but the refusal to accept any responsibilty as "you can't turn back the clock" is just as bad an attitude. Morals went out the window a long time ago. The acceptance of a percentage if Iraqi's is a sad truth. Essentially, we didn't want you here, but now you've created all these issues we need your help.

Mister James wrote:
As long as the USA shares roughly the same values as us, it's in our interests to assist the worlds only remaining superpower - especially as it looks like it won't be the only one for long!

What's the point in one world superpower? No-one can possibly pose a significant threat to America, so anyone they start a war with loses. In a tree-hugging hippy-type way, why do we need to evaluate countries based on their power to destroy? If anything, do it by amount of people, in which case it's China for the win. Can't we all just be friends and share.....

With the analogy thing, if you're wearing an iPod on the train, it may not be your fault that you get mugged, but you have made yourself more of a target. I'm going to stear clear of the rape analogy.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:43 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I opposed the idea of the original invasion, but now that it has happened and we have triggered the current situation I think we need to stay there and help to sort the mess out.

It is likely to get more expensive in casualties. That is the cost of being responsible for our actions.

killa wrote:
I’m waiting for the day these fuckers over step the mark, and then our boys can be pulled out and we can use proper force.

If you really want us to act as the major recruiting force for the terrorists.

All the best

Keith

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 12:46 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a bit of a joke Keith, but you and I both know it can happen.
If they mess us about too much, we’d sort it pretty hastily.

We're both as bad as each other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:04 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Was a bit of a joke Keith, but you and I both know it can happen.
If they mess us about too much, we’d sort it pretty hastily.

We're both as bad as each other.

It can happen, but that would just cause a massive increase in the troubles. Added to which such indiscriminate action (resulting in massive civilian casualties) would provoke much of the world who would otherwise stay out.

We might well win militarily, but economically a few oil rich countries would wipe us out.

All the best

Keith

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it is fairly simple really, but is bound to ramble.

"Oh no, Saddam has all these weapons, we must destroy him!"
Except they fabricated and exaggerated the quantity and veracity of the evidence to manipulate public opinion to support them. Of course, in the aftermath of 9/11, the public was putty in their hands. So they invade to depose Saddam Hussein and get rid of the weapons - what next? No-one seems to have given that much thought.

"Hooah! We're great, we've beaten the Iraqi army in days, we are teh leet! Cool Let's spread some democracy among this country which has known nothing but rule by dictator and tribal leaders for the past x millenia!"
Of course, we'll ignore the friendly fire incidents, some of that is inevitable, some of it was due to undertrained/ skilled cowboys. Rolling Eyes There's also the problem that Iraq simply is prepared for democracy. People expect to be ruled by sheikhs in a feudal system, telling them that they can change things by putting a paper in a box is like telling the antelope that they can stop the lions hunting them if they only stop running away and gang up.

"Um, where did all these different religious groups come from? You mean to say there is more than one type of Muslim, and they all hate each other? Oh bugger. Oh well, best get on with spreading that democracy, they will realise the error of their ways and grasp the freedom sooner or later!"
So they carry on spreading their democracy and freedom and the different muslim sects get on with the business of destroying each other. The minority Sunnis, being in power for so long, can't stand the idea of the majority Shia muslims being in power as democracy says they should be, so set about killing the Shia who are trying to run the country, politicians, policemen, army personnel, that sort of thing.

Meanwhile, down in the south, the Shia take full advantage of their newfound freedom and vote for extremist fundamentalist muslims to run them, who then proceed to invoke Sharia law (severe discrimination against women, arbitrary executions, that sort of thing) and rule the south with a rod of iron, in the mould of the hardline Iranians next door. It's democracy we cry, there's nothing we can do about it! So then British wander about, wondering what they've done letting the Shiate fundamentalists into power and knowing that there really is nothing they can do.

The Americans in the North (well, Baghdad etc and so on) go about spreading their 'democracy' and being pretty much incapable of stopping the Sunnis from killing the Shiates and trying to disrupt everything. The Kurds further up get on with running their own country and wish everyone else would just piss off and leave them to it.

Attacks on troops have dwindled, attacks on civilians have mushroomed. In the south, the UK forces can do nothing but watch what forces democracy has brought in, in the North the US troops can do nothing but watch the Sunnis object violently to the US vision of democracy by killing its participants and the Shiates be perplexed by the whole idea. The only people who can control it are the tribal Sheikhs (that's feudalism, not democracy) and the original Baathists who they went to such lengths to get rid of. Irony at its best.

"We're staying until the job is done!"

Which job is that? We've instituted democracy in the south, they went ahead and elected a vicious fundamentalist regime. Get out while the going is not quite as bad as it might become. As for the rest of it, there is a reason that Iraq is an artificial country. Before the British took over early in the last century, it composed of three distinct nations, seperated by their religions: the Kurds in the north, Sunnis in the middle and Shiates in the South. It's just gravitating back to that natural, disparate state.

Iran is another matter. A regime that nasty should not have nuclear weapons. The same could be said for umpteen other nuclear powers, but they already have them; we can't stop them. Iran has almost certainly been funding and training the 'insurgency' and is therefore responsible for killing US and British troops.

Apologies for the rambling nature of that.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:23 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the weapons bit, it should be noted that it seemed some changed their tact and suggested that infact the invasion was to prevent the human rights abuses the Iraqi people were beign subjected to.

For instance many were tortured or killed for what they believed in.

Of course now not only does this still happen, but many are tortured and killed much more indiscrminatory with a lot less change of avoiding it. I suspect on a much larger scale, as well.

Mister James wrote:
I don't accept this.

It is a direct consequence, sure. Our actions have led to this situation being possible, I fully accept that.

However, I do not accept that we shoulder the blame for the acts of murder that are being carried out on an hourly basis in Iraq by the so-called insurgency.

They are responsible for their actions, not us.

I think that cause and blame can be seperated.

Lets say you push a large brick off a high building into a crowd.
Do you blame the brick for killing the person it lands on?

Ok, these are not inanimate objects, but the actions once they were pushed are very easily predicated still.
Even if it wasn't this specific conflict, it was very, very obvious that Arab/Islam vs 'the west' hatred and war was trying to be initated.

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people are forgetting that the 100 figure is British military personnel that have died in Iraq. There have in fact been only 77 combat deaths - the rest down to accidents with firearms, vehicles etc.

I think having only 77 combat deaths is a feat in itself. Wether its down to excellent training, tactics, leadership or technological advantage I can't say - as I wasn't there. However a look at the figures from previous wars shows how far we have come in protecting our troops.

Chances of death in various wars:

WW1:
1:8

WW2:
1:17

Korea:
1:60

Falklands:
1:118

Northern Ireland:
1:500

and finally.. Iraq:
1:1039.

People seem to have forgotten how deadly wars of the past were.

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 21:02 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what The fuckin bleeding hearts would have said if the sadistic fucker had been left alone to develope nukes when the skin was peeling from their childrens faces?

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 02:07 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like the way the childrens skin is already peeling off from all the radioactive material we left lying about from our depleted uranium weapons? The Iraqis are already loosing a generation through our weapons, never mind the fact Saddams chemical weapons were sold to him by the US.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:43 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually a lot of the Iraq wars secrets will be revealed, as did secrets from WW1 and 2, to this day we still find out little clues as to why certain things happened at that time, but one things for sure, we know very little.
The countries leaders, on both sides tell us what they want to, we lap it up, as if to say ‘At least our leaders tell us what’s going on’ When in reality, back handers, deals and just general wrong doings are on going, which TBH I’d rather not know about.
There was something on the TV last night about Bush and Blair making decisions on military actions before the public vote etc etc, sorry but who the fuc* thought it would make a difference anyway? Lol
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2